I thought about it and it's really darn tricky to balance a game when there's no max level limit, which messes up most of my ideas.
- Obviously we could try to balance this by changing the price of the runes. But we can't escape the fact that there are players with insane amount of money who will simply abuse this feature. This would massively buff those players who are online all the time and have a lot of money. They will powerlevel and once high level is reached, money is not very difficult to come by.
- Another idea would be to set a limit of how many runes a player can buy, but that will just end with players transfering money between many characters and/or accounts.
- Adding runes to the shop would also mess with PvP and its balance.
Compare this to knowledge in real world, which anyone could come by - but it requires time and sometimes hard work. Imagine if some God would create a shop that sold knowledge that could be gained instantly; it would be great, but it would only benefit those who can afford it and there are people in this world that are unrealistic rich.
Back to MasterCores. So, how do we add runes to the shop without messing with the balance between;
HighOnlineTime vs LowOnlineTime
HighLevels vs LowLevels
Rich vs Poor
One of the ideas I came up with is to make two type of runes; normal and custom.
- can be used at all levels.
- can be used in PvP.
- can be conjured.
- not available in shop.
Sprites of runes from before Update 7.2. It seems like some NPCs forgot to replace those runes. Now they are for sale to players.
- only usable between level 8 and X.
- only available in shop.
- cheap; costs 50% of normal runes.
- can't be used in PvP.
- can't be conjured.
- Players who are not online often can get their runes from the shop.
- Players not online often are more likely to be poor; they can afford the runes.
- Players not online often are more likely to be low level; they can use the runes.
- There will be a market? Players can sell 1 bp normal GFB to high levels, use the money to buy 2 bps custom GFB.
- Easier to level; decreasing the rift between low and high levels.
- The only way custom runes will effect the PvP is that more pplayers will be higher level.
- Players above level X will still have to create or buy runes. So they can't abuse runes in shop feature, making level 200 still time consuming task.
- The essence of 7.4, spending a ton of online time to create runes, will be gone.
Players above level X may do 0 dmg with custom runes, 50% less damage, random 0-50% or random 0-100% damage.